Greetings, first-time Light Up Lakewood attendee. You’re in for a real treat.
Don’t be surprised if your enthusiasm upon reaching Detroit Avenue nears Buddy The Elf levels. Light Up Lakewood – a fun-filled fixture within Lakewood’s downtown district – represents one of the preeminent holiday events in Northeast Ohio. If it’s not the most wonderful time of the year, it comes awfully close.
But before you join 20,000 of your closest friends at LakewoodAlive’s dazzling community festival on December 2, there are some things you should know. Consider this cheat sheet a gift to be unwrapped prior to the first Saturday in December. Here’s your beginner’s guide to attending Light Up Lakewood 2017 sponsored by First Federal Lakewood.
(Click here to view a downloadable version of this map.)
(Map design by Convey360)
Who to Bring
Light Up Lakewood is family-friendly and open to everyone – all kids from 1 to 92 (and older, for that matter). So bring your spouse, grandparent, child, sibling, uncle, friend, insurance agent, mail carrier and cousin twice removed. Since Light Up Lakewood has a large regional draw, it’s worthwhile to invite your out-of-town friends to come experience the City of Lakewood and this festive occasion.
Free to attend!
So much merriment to spread, so little time. Light Up Lakewood represents a day-long celebration that starts with Lunch with Santa at Dewey’s Pizza at 11 a.m. and doesn’t end until the music stops playing at 8 p.m. Guests are welcome to attend everything or stick with the main festivities taking place between 4 and 8 p.m. Visit LakewoodAlive.org/LightUpLakewood ahead of time to plan which events you wish to attend.
The City of Lakewood’s municipal parking lots are free on weekends. With thousands of Light Up Lakewood attendees anticipated, however, parking spots near Downtown Lakewood will be in high-demand. Thankfully, Lakewood has numerous side streets in close proximity offering free, convenient street parking. It’s important to note that motorized traffic on Detroit Avenue between Arthur and Marlowe will be closed on December 2 starting at 3 p.m. Provided the weather cooperates, walking or biking to Light Up Lakewood also represent fine transportation options.
If Light Up Lakewood 2017 proves to be wintry, there are various strategies at your disposable for staying warm as you partake in the spirit of the season. Head indoors at Vendor Village located within the Lakewood Masonic Temple, or take in a performance at Lakewood Baptist Church or Lakewood Public Library. For those who opt to stay outdoors, several free hot chocolate stands will be available.
LakewoodAlive will be posting to its Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts throughout the duration of Light Up Lakewood. Guests are encouraged to use hashtag #LightUpLakewood for their own social media. Don’t be afraid to go live on Facebook during the Holiday Parade, Lighting Ceremony and Fireworks Show.
Be sure to bring your appetite with you to Light Up Lakewood. The many terrific restaurants and eateries contained within the event footprint will be open for business throughout the festivities. Additionally, a collection of food trucks will be on-site along Detroit Avenue.
There’s truly something for everyone at Light Up Lakewood 2017.
Schedule of Events:
- 11 am – 1 pm – Lunch with Santa at Dewey’s Pizza
- 11 am – 4:30 pm – Ongoing performances at Lakewood Baptist Church
- 12 – 4 pm – Santa visits Lakewood Baptist Church
- 3 pm – King and Queen Ceremony at Plantation Home
- 4 pm – Festival Kickoff with Vendor Village at the Lakewood Masonic Temple (inside both floors)
- 5 pm – Start of Parade at Manor Park and Detroit Avenue, headed westbound on Detroit
- 5:30 – 8 pm – Ongoing performances at Lakewood Public Library
- 5:30 – 8:30 pm – Santa visits Lakewood Public Library
- 6 – 6:30 and 7 – 8 pm – Performance by The Sellouts
- 6:30 pm – Lighting Ceremony at Main Stage at City Center Park (in front of Marc’s Plaza)
- 7 pm – Fireworks Show
Lakewood Baptist Church Performance Schedule – Mosaic of Music:
- 11:00 – 11:20 am – Lakewood Baptist Church Organist-Welcome and Opening
- 11:30 – 11:50 am – Lakewood Catholic Academy Jazz Band
- 12:00 – 12:20 pm – Harding Singers
- 12:30 – 12:50 pm – Garfield Jazzy Jam Holiday Ensemble
- 1:00 – 1:20 pm – Harding Singers Too
- 1:30 – 1:50 pm – Harrison Elementary-Stephanie
- 2:00 – 2:20 pm – Garfield Music Crew
- 2:20 – 2:30 pm – LHS Quartet-1
- 2:30 – 2:50 pm – Harding Middle School Jazz Band
- 2:50 – 3:00 pm – LHS Quartet-2
- 3:00 – 3:20 pm – Horace Mann
- 3:30 – 3:50 pm – Lincoln Singers
- 4:00 – 4:20 pm – LHS Chamber Orchestra
Lakewood Public Library Performance Schedule:
- 9:00 am – 5:00 pm – Friends Holiday Public Book Sale (Book Sale Room)
- 6:00 – 8:30 pm – Holiday Crafts & Activities (Multipurpose Room)
- 4:30 pm – St. Edward’s Trash Talkers (Front Sidewalk)
- 5:30-5:55, 6:35-7:00, 7:15-7:45 – Beck Center for the Arts Music Makers (Children’s Section-South)
- 5:30 – 8:30 pm – Santa Visits/Photos (Bring Your Camera)
- 6:00-6:30 pm – Stringin’ Along Middle School Strings (Children’s Section-South)
- 6:15-6:30 pm- Vive/Fourtes (New Books Room)
- 6:30-7:00 pm- Four Seasons (New Books Room)
- 6:30 – 8:00 pm – H2O’s “Twigbee-Style” Shop (Homework Room)
- 7:00 – 8:00 pm – Story Time – every half hour
- 7:15 – 7:45 pm – LHS Chamber Choir (Atrium.)
- Cleveland Metroparks NatureTracks
- Ice Carvings
- Live Huskies
- Face Cut-Out Photos
- Face Painting
- Green Screen Photo Booth
- Ice Bowling
- Kids Games
- Life-Sized Games
- Ohio Mobile Gaming Truck
- Pedi Cab Rides
Taking in the Parade
The Holiday Parade will step off from Manor Park at 5 p.m. and proceed west on Detroit Avenue, ending in front of Lakewood Public Library. It’s recommended to find your parade-viewing spot early and to consider bringing a lawn chair if you think you’ll be more comfortable sitting down. Many merchant window-fronts on Detroit Avenue also provide prime indoor vantage points.
Enjoying the Lighting Ceremony
Year in and year out, the Lighting Ceremony represents one of the highlights of Light Up Lakewood. The Main Stage serving as the site of the Lighting Ceremony will be at City Center Park in front of the Marc’s Shopping Plaza near the intersection of Detroit and Cook Avenues. Arrive there early to secure that photo-worthy view.
Watching the Fireworks Show
Sponsored by First Federal Lakewood, the Fireworks Show represents an exciting and fitting culmination to Light Up Lakewood.
The fireworks will be set off from behind Lakewood Center North (the same as in past years). Following the end of the Lighting Ceremony, there will be a short break to allow attendees time to find their perfect vantage point for enjoying the fireworks. Recommended viewing spots include:
1. From the south side of Detroit Avenue in the areas west of Rozi’s Wine House.
2. From the the City’s municipal parking lots located behind Geiger’s/Melt Bar & Grilled, behind Deagan’s/First Federal Lakewood and behind Rozi’s Wine House.
For more information regarding Light Up Lakewood 2017, please visit LakewoodAlive.org/LightUpLakewood.
Light Up Lakewood is generously supported by the following sponsors:
Title and Fireworks Sponsor
First Federal Lakewood
City of Lakewood
Lakewood City Center
Photo Booth Sponsor
Eric Lowrey, Berkshire Hathaway/Lucien Realty
King and Queen Scholarship Sponsor