PART TIME COMMUNITY ENGAGER
LakewoodAlive is a nonprofit, community/economic development organization whose mission is to improve the quality of life of residents by creating alliances with community leaders, leveraging community assets and expanding the pool of available resources in order to facilitate economic stability and growth in the City of Lakewood.
LakewoodAlive administers a Housing Outreach Program which connects low- to moderate-income residents with resources and educational services, facilitates volunteer labor to complete home repairs, administers a paint rebate program, and collaborates with nonprofits, and leverages resources. This holistic, collaborative approach has led to hundreds of thousands of dollars being invested in the community to stabilize and improve the city’s aging housing stock and reduce lead paint exposure while helping homeowners protect their biggest investment.
REPORTS TO: Housing Outreach Director
SUMMARY OF POSITION DESCRIPTION
LakewoodAlive created the Community Engagement Program that is able to focus on neighborhoods that are in need of a special focus. The Community Engager will be responsible for working with Lakewood residents in the Birdtown and Scenic Park neighborhoods as well as community partners to strengthen and engage residents in these neighborhoods to ultimately grow community pride and provide access to resources.
This will be done through activities like workshops, community meals, resource fairs and one-on-one interactions that will improve health and safety in our neighborhoods through home improvements and increased interactions with available community resources. Work is primarily with low- to moderate-income residents and is intended to strengthen Lakewood’s housing stock by facilitating exterior improvements, abating code violations, and connecting residents to resources to help them remain in their home and stabilize Lakewood’s neighborhoods.
- Establish worthwhile relationships with neighborhood residents
- Create and implement a daily door knocking schedule establishing a known presence in the neighborhoods
- Deliver informational packets to residents and businesses in a timely fashion so that they have access to current and up-to-date materials
- Coordinate quarterly programming in the neighborhood
- Establish relationships with local partner agencies
- Create and coordinate quarterly programming in both neighborhoods including but not limited to regular neighborhood meetings
- Assist in creation of a block group in each neighborhood which will ultimately become self-sustaining
- Identify possible neighborhood leaders and encourage them to take-on those roles.
- Establish and staff regular “Office Hours” in each neighborhood
- Attend block clubs, nonprofits, and citizen-led organizations’ events in the neighborhood to promote the program and foster new relationships as needed.
- Work hand-in-hand and encourage neighbors to plan and implement neighborhood projects
- Demonstrated ability to work and build trusting relationships with diverse populations
- Strong interpersonal skills; highly organized with attention to detail; ability to speak publicly
- Experience with community engagement/organizing
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Access to personal transportation
- Must be available to work as needed on evenings and weekends
- Ability to walk various distances and carry up to 25 pounds
Available for extended hours during peak periods and attendance at evening and weekend meetings. Exposure to inside and outside environmental conditions. The LakewoodAlive office is located in a smoke-free facility.
This position description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of LakewoodAlive. Since no position description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder’s responsibility.
LakewoodAlive is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Hourly pay rate $10 – $12 per hour depending on qualifications
- Qualified candidate will work between 25-30 hours per week
EMAIL or MAIL COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO:
email@example.com by 5:00 p.m. January 23, 2015
Housing Outreach Director
14701 Detroit Avenue #LL10
Lakewood, OH 44107
NO phone calls please